- My Law BC is a website owned by Legal Aid BC that provides free legal information.
- People’s Law School offers legal information and Q&As in plain language on everyday problems.
- Clicklaw, gives legal information on most legal issues that affect British Columbians.
- Access Pro Bono, a non-profit organization that provides a wide-range of free legal advice and representation services to individuals and non-profit organizations of limited means located in British Columbia.
- The Canadian Bar Association’s webpage for the public.
- The Office of the Ombudsperson may help if you think a provincial government ministry, local government, or other provincial public authority (such as a hospital, a school, or a local tribunal) has treated you unfairly.
General Legal Information and/or Advice
1. BC Residential Tenancy Branch, to learn about the rights and duties of landlords and tenants and to apply for dispute resolution online.
2. Tenant Resource and Advisory Centre (for tenants only), to find free online information, the Tenant Info Line’s number and hours, and potentially representation.
3. The Community Legal Assistance Society, to get legal help with a Judicial Review.
1. Immigration, Refugee and Citizenship Canada (previously Citizenship and Immigration Canada), if you are interested in immigrating to Canada or have questions about your application for any visa.
2. Immigration and Refugee Board of Canada, if your case has been referred to a hearing before it can be decided whether you can remain in Canada.
3. Legal Aid BC, if you need a lawyer because you have an upcoming hearing before the Immigration and Refugee Board.
Discrimination & Harassment
- The BC Human Rights Tribunal explains what human rights in BC. Complaints can be submitted online.
- The BC Human Rights Clinic offers legal help with a human rights complaint.
- SHARP Workplaces (Sexual Harassment Advice, Response, and Prevention for Workplaces), to find get legal advice on sexual harassment at work.
- Worksafe BC, to understand BC’s no-fault insurance system in the workplace and to make a complaint.